Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Paint Sample Mosaic

I really needed a piece of art for Hulks bedroom and for my living room. And I really needed to not spend much money! I'm a girl on a major decorating budget. So I decided to try a little project I saw in one of my crafty magazines awhile back. Paint sample mosaics.

First I hit my local lumber store and had a piece of 1/2 inch plywood cut into 20x20 sections. Then I hit the paint store and grabbed some fun paint samples. I've found that Dutch Boy paint samples are the best because they are already cut to the perfect size! Score!!! You will need a lot of samples!

Then I used brown paint that I already had on hand to paint the sides of the boards. Since Hulk must "help" with all projects he painted some too. You don't have to paint the whole board or let your 3 year old paint randomly but it does make the project more fun.

 


Once that dried I arranged the squares of paint samples in the pattern I wanted on the board. Then I stacked them all up in order and took the board back outside. I use 3M adhesive spray and attached the samples with it. I would spray a line, stick the samples on and then spray another line, etc. I let it dry overnight and made sure all the pieces were really stuck to the board.

 


Next I used my Mod Podge and applied three coats on top of the samples. I used a Satin Mod Podge because I wanted a little shine but you could use Matte. Let each coat dry before applying the next. I then let that dry over night.

The next day I applied several coats of dark cherry stain. I would brush the stain on with a paint brush let it sit about 10 minutes and then wipe most of it off with a rag. Let it dry, and repeat. There are three coats of stain total. Again let it dry overnight.

 


Once it was completely dry I called my step dad over and he hung it for me in the living room. I love it! I actually didn't end up liking the one I made for Hulk at all. So I'm in the process of redoing his now. I've also made a couple for some other folks now too. They are fun to make and very simple. It's just a time consuming process. Lots of waiting around for things to dry.





If you end up trying it let me know. I'd love to see how it turns out!

1 comment:

Jules said...

That turned out really cool! What a great idea!