Saturday, June 6, 2009

Washington Day One

My first day in Washington was pretty awesome. I really just loved taking in the city. As soon as I dropped my bags at the hotel I was off to explore. Day one was my first experience with the Metro. It went much better than I anticipated. So quick, cheap and easy to use. I was very impressed!

My first stop was the national mall. I really loved just wondering around there. So many different things going on in one area. There was a band playing jazz music that I listened to for awhile. People flying huge kites. A carousel that I of course took a ride on.

Once I got done there I went to the Smithsonian American History Museum! If you ever take your kids to D.C. this is the museum for them. Lots of cool entertainment exhibits. The original Kermit the frog and Oscar the grouch were a couple of my favs. They also had a very cool exhibit all about the history of the Star Spangled Banner.

By the time I got done there it was 4:00 and I was starving! I hadn't eaten since 5:00 A.M. when I had a bagel before I got on the plane. So since it seems you can buy a hot dog on every corner in D.C. that seemed like the best plan. So I got a hot dog and some water and found me a bench on the mall to eat and people watch. My great plan shockingly went down the gutter. I dropped my bottle of water so I sat my hot dog down on the bench to pick the water up. All of a sudden I hear a horrible squawking sound. Three pigeons were fighting over my $3.50 hot dog! It was gone in a blink of an eye. Pricey bird food in D.C.

After the pigeons stole my food I wandered on to the Smithsonian castle. BEAUTIFUL! If I lived in D.C. I think the gardens at the castle would be a wonderful place for a wedding. They were just very peaceful and meticulously landscaped. Very impressive. I spent a good hour there in the gardens just enjoying myself.

I decided that I probably ought to head back to my hotel. As I was walking back to the metro station I saw a man that had his penis sticking out of his pants. I hope he knows how crazy the pigeons are in D.C. I don't think I'd want to risk it! I also saw lots of community or "victory" gardens during my stroll that day. In fact they are all over the city. Pretty neat in my opinion.

So here are a few pics from day one!



Clickin Mama

No comments: