Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Hulk Q&A

Thank you all so much for your prayers, comments, well wishes, emails, etc. I really do have amazing blog readers, friends and family! The Hulk is hanging in there and doing well I think. He still doesn't feel very good but he is coming along. That pesky fever is still trying to hang on but I'm doing my best to keep it low! I've had quite a few questions about The Hulk so he actually gets his own Q&A post today!

Has The Hulk ever had a seizure before?

NO! Even when he was so sick last March he never had a seizure. Hopefully he never will again!

Does this mean he has epilepsy?

No it does not. This could be a one time occurence. One seizure is not indicitive of an epilepsy diagnosis. I have been told that it is "normal" for some children to have seizures when they have a fever. There are also some children that have seizures and then grow out of them. At this point everyone believes this seizure is directly related to his virus and fever.

What kind of virus is it?

Good question and I wish I knew the answer to that. He does not have a cough or ear ache. He is just pretty lethargic and seems to feel yucky. He does seem to have a little bit of a tummy ache but he has not thrown up. He has a little bit of a runny nose but again nothing dramatic. Other than the seizure I would have thought this was just a run of the mill little kid sickness.

How high was his fever?

When the EMT's checked it is was 101.9, at the hospital it was 102.4. It went up very quickly and came down very quickly. Right now it is staying right around 99.5-100 with Tylenol and Motrin. The dr at the ER told me that children under 5 can have seizures if their fever goes over 101.

Wouldn't you feel better if they had kept him at the hospital till he was all better?

Not necessarily. If they felt like he would probably have more seizures I would have wanted to stay. But since I can manage the fever at home, have a best friend that is an RN and can get him back to the hospital quickly I would rather be at home. We are heading into a very bad flu season and with his asthma I really don't want to have him exposed to any other yucky stuff if I can avoid it. And he always rests and eats so much better at home then in the hospital. But of course if he gets worse or has another seizure we will be heading back quickly.

Hope that answers all the questions about Mr. Man. I'm off to watch more Sesame Street! Fun times!

Clickin Mama

No comments: