Thursday, January 8, 2009

Green Beans for Baby

I've had a couple people email me about how I make The Hulk' baby food. It's so easy and it saves so much money! Tonight I made him green beans and broccoli and it took me about 35 minutes start to finish. And that is for about a one month supply of green beans and about a 2 1/2 week supply of broccoli. So simple! So to help those of you out that are just getting started with the baby food I'll walk ya through the easy baby green beans...

1. I wash the green beans and snip the ends. I also usually break them in half depending on their size.

2. Steam the grean beens for about 10-12 minutes. I just check them off and on and poke them with a fork to tell when they are done.

They usually look something like this when they are done.



3. I let them cool for about 10 minutes and then I put them in a bowl to mash them. I use a potato masher to squish them up. I used to put them through the food processor but The Hulk is big enough now to have thicker food. He likes to use those teeth.



4. After they are mashed I spoon them into the ice cube trays. Cover the trays with aluminum foil and freeze overnight.



5. The next day you pop them out of the trays and put them in a Ziploc FREEZER baby. It must be a freezer bag, not a storage bag! They can be frozen for about 6 weeks.

6. To serve just put the cubes in a bowl and microwave until thawed.

Now each tray makes 16 cubes. 2 cubes is the equivilent of a size 2 jar of baby food. So each tray equals 8 jars of food. Each jar of food is about .88. So if you bought the green beans you would spend $7.04 before tax. This time when I bought fresh green beans I paid $1.02 for the beans I bought. So that is a savings of $6.02. And that is just on the green beans for this month. If you think about all the other food I make I probably save close to $75.00 a month by making my own food. And it is so much healthier than the jar food.

So good luck with your baby food making. Of course if you have any other questions email me or leave a comment. I'd be happy to help you.

No comments: