Sunday, January 11, 2009

Victory Gardens

I had never heard of Victory Gardens until recently. Actually my step mom Cricket mentioned them while we were in Texas. I knew they were popular during WW II but didn't know much else. Then when I was at school today I saw a flyer up that is for a workshop on creating a victory garden. So now my curiousity got the best of me and I had to do some googling.

It seems that while Victory Gardens were a hit in the past they are making a big come back. Revive The Victory Garden is a pretty informative site all about the history of the victory garden. It also provides a lot of information about how to create a Victory Garden and the benefits of it.

Basically the point of a victory garden is to produce the fruit, vegetables, and herbs that you and your neighbors consume. By doing this you reduce the cost of produce. You also reduce the environmental damage caused by hauling produce. There are other benefits like knowing how your food was produced and connecting with your neighbors, etc. But overall the victory garden is just another cool way to go green.

So I'm thinking I may have to try it out. The Hulk will be walking by the time summer comes around so we will be outside a lot anyway. We might as well grown our own food right.... Maybe we could get a couple of our neighbors to play along....

No comments: